Emergency Evacuation of the Harold Cohen Library for Disabled Customers
This document details support in place and advises on what you may need to do if you have a permanent or temporary mobility need in order to be prepared in case there is fire evacuation. The information should be used in conjunction with the GEEP (general emergency evacuation plan) for the Harold Cohen Library.
If you would like a personal tour of the Library or to be shown any equipment, please contact the Library via firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment.
What to do in an emergency evacuation:
- Do not use any of the lifts apart from the glass fronted one near the main entrance
- Make your way out of the nearest emergency exit if you are able following the green fire exit signs. Accessible routes are available on lower ground, upper ground and ground floor rear levels only.
- Make your way to the assembly point under the archway into the Quadrangle.
- Keep your mobile phone with you at all times.
- If you need assistance to evacuate the building, please make your way to a staircase access area on any floor and call Campus Support on 0151 794 2222.
University staff and/or Fire Rescue Services will assist in evacuation if this is required. However, you will not be evacuated in the case of a false alarm.
Floors with Accessible Evacuation Routes in the Library
Accessible evacuation routes are available on the lower ground, ground and upper ground floors. We strongly recommend that you only use these floors especially in evenings and weekends when very small numbers of staff are on duty in the building.
Additional Support / Equipment to assist with evacuation:
- Digital Messaging Service: We advise everybody to opt in to this by texting the code HCLDMS to 07860 017165. This services sends a text when the fire alarm is activated.
- Evacuation Chairs are situated on staircases and staff are trained in their use.
- Stair 2 (Central): 4th Floor, 3rd Floor, 2nd Floor, 1st Floor
- Stair 3 (South): 3rd Floor
- Stair 4 (by PC Rooms 5 & 6): 1st Floor
- Stair 5 (by PC Rooms 7 & 8): 1st Floor
- Handrails are on all staircases
- Emergency pull cords in disabled toilets