Links to other Josephine Butler Related Collections
The University of Liverpool holds one of the major national collections relating to Josephine Butler comprising the Josephine Butler Papers: correspondence, personal papers, paintings, portraits, photographs, press cuttings and memorabilia, the archive of Josephine Butler Memorial House and related printed material. The following list gives details of other collections.
- The Women's Library, London Metropolitan University: The Josephine Butler Society Library.
- Northumberland County Record Office: Grey family archive (ZBU.E2: papers of the Revd George Butler and ZBU.E3: papers of Josephine E. Butler, including diaries and letters)
- British Library Manuscripts: Josephine Butler correspondence
- Leeds University, Brotherton Library: Correspondence between Josephine Butler and Hannah Ford
- University of St Andrews Library: Autograph album of 102 items, mostly letters addressed to the Butlers from public figures concerned with the social reform movement
- Royal Institute of British Architects' Library: Butler family papers
- Salvation Army Heritage Centre Rebecca Jarrett papers
- Balliol College, Oxford
- The Benjamin Jowett Papers (published catalogue: The Jowett Papers, by Robin Darwall-Smith, Oxford: Balliol College, 1993 ISBN 0 9512569 3 9). See:
- I E22/2 A collection of reminiscences of Jowett sent to Abbott and Campbell during preparation of The Life and Letters of Benjamin Jowett, 1897. Writers include Josephine Butler; I F11/26 Copies of letters from Jowett to various correspondents. Those to the Duchess of Bedford include discussions on common friends (e.g. Josephine Butler); III N263, 275 Letters from Jowett to Florence Nightingale, containing references to Josephine Butler ([17 Oct. 1869]; 30 Jan. 1870)
- Readers wishing to consult the Jowett Papers should apply in writing to The Librarian, Balliol College, Oxford OX1 3BJ, or by email to email@example.com. It is regretted that photocopies cannot be supplied.
- Walker Art Gallery, Liverpool: Bust and plaster relief of Josephine E. Butler by Alexander Munro (1825-1871), probably after 1852
- National Portrait Gallery, London: Portrait of Josephine E. Butler by G.F. Watts, 1895
- Church House: Holds student records relating to Josephine Butler Memorial House
- The Anglican Cathedral of Liverpool: Holds much of the former library of Josephine Butler Memorial House