Visions of Europe
Exhibition Dates: 3 April – 31 August 2023
An exhibition exploring the relationship between the United Kingdom and Europe, considering Europe as a holiday destination, as a source of inspiration, and as a place to find refuge.
- European editions of Terry Pratchett’s Witches Abroad with distinct translation and cover designs
- Ephemera from the Cunard Archive and guide books from the Literary Annuals collection which show the enduring appeal of Europe to tourists
- Travel diaries and letters from the 1890s to the 1920s sharing personal reflections on European travel
- The collections of two religious and political exiles from Spain - Joseph Blanco White (1775-1841) and Manuel Irujo (1891-1981) which witness to conflict in Europe, but also reveal co-operation and support in times of hardship
- Architectural drawings by Michael Bottomley, a University of Liverpool student in the 1950s, show Europe as a place of inspiration and highlight the links between the University of Liverpool and Europe